Shirley Temple Tribute
Shirley Temple Black is no longer a child star, but at one time she was the most popular actress in America -- for five years in a row! She would be the first to admit that her film career pretty much ended after 1949. In fact, of the 69 films and TV movies she appeared in, 60 of them were filmed between 1932 and 1949, more than half of those before 1937, when she turned the ripe old age of 9! She received a special Oscar in 1934 for her contribution to screen entertainment.
So this tribute is primarily to the little girl who made so many people happy during the Depression, with her smile and her dancing and her precociousness -- rather than to the woman who was once a delegate to the United Nations, ambassador to Ghana and Czechoslovakia, and White House Chief of Protocol, in a career that lasted 27 years, much longer than her film career. You can see a glimpse of the little girl's future in the photo above, as she sits with America's most distinguished First Lady, Eleanor Roosevelt, in 1938.
Shirley Temple Tributes/Pages
- The Official Shirley Temple Web Site - The first ever official web site authorized by Shirley Temple Black was activated on March 18, 2005. While there is more to come in the future, the site currently features a filmography and biographical notes, plus offers for membership in the Shirley Temple Club and a chance to purchase The Shirley Temple Storybook Collection.
- Shirley Temple: Little Star - Biography, filmography, and more, along with instructions on how to make your hair like hers. (Be sure to use your cursor to change the position of the bar in the center so that the content in the lower section is displayed in a larger frame.)
- Shirley Temple Fan Page - A very thorough collection of information on every aspect of Shirley's career from this Australian site.
- Shirley Temple Fans.com - A very nice site with a bio, song lyrics, a fun photo gallery, and a cute cursor.
- The Wonderful World of Shirley Temple & Shirley Temple Dolls - There's a lot of information and fun stuff here for Shirley fans, and not all of it is about dolls (although that's the main thrust). Look for a biography, song lyrics, games, and more.
Other Shirley Temple Pages
- All-Movie Guide
- The Golden Years
- Internet Movie Database
- Female Frontiers - Shirley Temple Chat Archive.
The Shirley Temple Club
c/o Rita Dubas
8811 Colonial Road
Brooklyn, NY 11209
Australian Shirley Temple Collectors News
30 page Newsletter - 4 times per year - cost US$40/year
PO box 4086
Mulgrave Victoria 3150
Selected Reviews of Shirley Temple's Best Films
The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer - Various reviews from members of CaryGrant.NetFort Apache - Review by Dragan Antulov.
A Kiss for Corliss - RottenTomatoes.com
The Little Princess (1939) - From Movie Magazine International.
The Little Princess - Review by Brian Koller.
The Littlest Rebel - Review by Brian Koller on Epinions.com.
Mr. Belvedere Goes to College - From Bosley Crowther of The New York Times
Since You Went Away (1944) - Review by Tim Dirks from The Greatest Films.
Since You Went Away - From Phillip Oliver's Jennifer Jones Site.
The Story of Seabiscuit - From Christopher Null of FilmCritic.com
Wee Willie Winkie (1937) - Review by Brian Koller on Epinions.com.
Books By or About Shirley Temple
- Classic Shirley Temple Paper Dolls in Full Color - by Grayce Piemontes.
- Shirley Temple Black: Actor & Diplomat - by Jean F. Blashfield.
- Original Shirley Temple Dolls in Full Color - by Children's Museum Staff.
- Shirley Temple: Child Stars - by John Bankston.
- Shirley Temple Black: A Bio-Bibliography - by Patsy G. Hammontree.
- The Films of Shirley Temple - by Robert Windeler.
- The Shirley Temple Scrapbook - by Loraine Burdick.
- The Story of Shirley Temple Black: Hollywood's Youngest Star - by Carlo Fiori.
Shirley Temple Photos/Art On The Web
- Classic Movie Kids
- Famous Photo
- Magazine Covers - From The Online Art Gallery and Antiques Mall at the-forum.
- Smithsonian Institution - "On the Good Ship Lollipop" sheet music cover.
- Walls of Fame - Autographed photo.